The longer I have to play with twitter tracking, the cooler it is. (I’ve already spoken about how it works here.)
Here’s a list of the top five things that I think are worthwhile tracking:
- Your user name: All combinations thereof, including @username.
- The city you live in. In my case, Melbourne. A half hour after I added this, I had seen twitters from no less than 5 people in Melbourne talking about traffic, public transport and local events. Gives twitter a nice hometown feel. It’s almost local news “as it happens”. Obviously this depends on who twitters what.
- “Britney Spears”. There is so much gossip about her at the moment it’s amazing. You’d never need to buy a gossip magazine ever again. Substitute your favorite celeb for Britney. For example:
- “laugh”. Any time someone finds something funny, you’ll know about it. Everyone needs a little comic relief now and then.
- Anything related to websites you own or plan on working on. I shouldn’t need to expand on this one.
As a bonus, if you haven’t worked out the phrase that twitter themselves are saying seems to be the most popular, take a look at the twitter blog. As I’ve mentioned previously, reach out and touch a huge number of people simply by incorporating that into your tweets…
Powered by ScribeFire.